The Society of Women Engineers is a national organization with student sections on each engineering campus. The section is an interdisciplinary organization with membership cutting across all the engineering disciplines and is also open to men who are interested in the mission and activities of the group. The mission of SWE is to encourage women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders, to expand the image of the engineering profession as a positive force in improving the quality of life, and to demonstrate the value of diversity.
SWE Objectives (adopted in 1950)
- Inform young women, their parents, counselors, and the general public, of the qualifications and achievements of women engineers and the opportunities open to them.
- Assist women in readying themselves for a return to active work after temporary retirement.
- Serve as a center of information on women in engineering.
- Encourage women engineers to attain high levels of education and professional achievement.
SWE Strategic Priorities
The Society's 3- to 5-Year Planning Horizon Strategies
- SWE will provide opportunities for women to attain, enhance, and demonstrate leadership, professional, and technical excellence that results in career aspiration, advancement, achievement, and satisfaction.
- SWE will embrace and promote the value and power of diversity in specialties, age, race, ethnicity, language, gender identity, sexual orientation, and interests.
- SWE will share its acquired knowledge and promote programs that bridge the gaps in recruitment, professional development, and retention of women in engineering.
- SWE will inspire girls and women from diverse backgrounds and life stages to aspire to engineering for meaningful and rewarding careers.
We aspire to the highest level of ethical behavior as evidenced by honesty and dignity in our personal and professional relationships and responsibilities.
We acknowledge gender, ethnic, cultural and other differences, and strive to respect the added values they bring.
We provide an organization that fosters mentoring, and the development of professional and personal networks.
We conduct our activities in a professional manner, demonstrating and demanding the highest standards of business practices.